Xtreme Mower Mayhem

Hot Rod Toyz: Est 2005

Forums

Forum Home > Garage Hobby Discussion > First project build: Bolens 1220

Dforgy

It's been in my boss's barn for 10 years but I convinced him to let it go.  Got it for a nice cheap price.  Now it's time to start designing the lift.  I'm going to try to make a run and get the 1/2" square tubbing this weekend.

For an experienced builder - I'm guessing, without having sat down to do the math yet, that i'm going to need (2) 24' sticks for a 12"-18" lift.  How far off am I on my guess?

~Dforgy

October 23, 2009 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dforgy

I finally got around to posting these pics.  Still havnt had time to start the build but it's coming soon.

~Dforgy

November 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dangeroustoys56

A guy i subscribed to on you tube regularlly romps and goes mudding with a bunch of those old bolens- theyre built like tanks and go virtually everywhere.

--

November 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jagilb@kcweb.net

Ive got an old '65. its a tank. three speed with a hi/lo worm drive rearend, the things are bullet broof. If you are gonna put a big heavy motor on it, the steering will slip. it will only turn right going forward and left going in reverse. you have to pull the pin to unlock the diff if you are going to push it. great mowers when they run, pain in the butt when they dont. If you have firing issues, be sure to check the ballast resistor in the coil circuit. i put a 17 hp Kohler twin on mine with bar tread tires. this thing will pull anything you can get a chain around

November 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kel Anthony
Site Owner

What size tires are you using?

+_*

Kel

November 30, 2009 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jagilb@kcweb.net

23X8.5X12   no weights or fluid. that extra rotating mass is hard on the drivetrain. have used sandbags on the fenders when the 250 pounds on the seat was not enough

November 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deck Ape

I think I got one of these out in the rebuild corner, but I think it's called a Gibson or something like that.....White with Orange trim & 4 bolt wheels? Some guy gave it to me to get it out of his yard!

--

You want to do WHAT with WHAT?

December 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dforgy

oops, never checked back because I wasnt getting any activity on this thread.

I wish I would have known about that pin when i went to pick it up!  lol, i almost died trying to push it.  I thought the rear end was just locked because it's been sitting in a shed for 12 years. 

I wish I was posting a progress report but I havnt gotten anything done with it yet.  Been rebuilding my dad's 55 gal. drum bbq grill for christmas.  (he thinks I took it for scrap metal :roll:)  I plan on starting on it after the holiday's though, fingers crossed.

December 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jagilb@kcweb.net

Last time I checked (7 years ago) you could still get parts for them. broke a shifter fork and in the process of fixing it I lost a detent spring. got the parts and a parts list/ exploded view of the tractor from bolens. just found out that the reed valves for my golf cart have not been available for 2 years and they used that motor till '89 so you might be SOL

December 10, 2009 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.